Thursday, December 17, 2009

Madden 10 game plan (Part 2 - Defense)

I use the New York Jets playbook on defense because of its versatility. The 49ers are best suited for the 3-4 formation but there are times when the 46 formation is desirable. At the beginning of a game, I'll start out "Asking Madden". Actually, I'll use "Ask Madden" on defense throughout the game unless I learn my opponents tendencies.

cb-dogs-blitzPlay Action Passes - If my opponent likes to abuse the play action pass I'll use CB Dogs Blitz out of 3-4 formation (cover 2) or CB Dogs Blitz (cover 3) out of Nickle 3-3-5 formation. I've noticed that these plays seemed to have responded better before patch #2 came out. After Patch #2, I've noticed the corner backs biting on the play action pass.

rush-outside-qb-containWildcat - I use the Rush Outside play out of 46 Normal formation. I'll spread the linemen and then put the safety in QB Spy and user him. This play seems to always be effective against the wildcat for the most part. For pass plays out of the Wildcat QB Contain from 3-4 Normal formation will work.

Nano Blitzes
I'm not certain if I'm setting these up properly but every once in a while I'll try some nano blitzes that I've found on the internet.

sting-pinch-zoneSting Pinch Zone - In the Sting Pinch Zone out of the 3-4 over formation I reblitz the DT and the blitzing linebacker. I also turn 'Show Blitz' on so the linebacker comes closer to the line. I user one of the Defensive ends. The Sting Pinch is supposed to bring more pressure but it's a risky play because there's no deep coverage.

ss-snake-3-staySS Snake 3 Stay - The only adjustment needed in this play is to use "show Blitz" so the SS will come in closer before the snap. I'd probably get more nano pressure from this play if I were to put in a faster strong safety. The 49ers strong safety, Michael Lewis, does not have very good speed. I haven't mastered using subs on defense yet.

trio-sky-zoneTrio Sky Zone - The Trio Sky zone out of 3-4 over doesn't behave like a 'nano blitz' play but I always seem to get good pressure from this play.

Cover 3
- Sometimes, I'll use base cover 3 and blitz the left outside linebacker, Manny Lawson, to utilize his speed to pressure the quarterback. I'll user one of the linemen.

Running Plays

If I feel my opponent will be running I'll use Rush Outside, Strong Blitz, or Weak Blitz from 46 Normal formation. Sometimes, I'll spread the linemen. I'll user the FS but if I have a hunch that it might be a play action pass I'll user one of the linemen.

I just recently added Cover 1 from the Nickel 3-3-5 formation to my defensive audibles. This play seems to be a good run stopper against just about any running play. I only discovered its effectiveness after last night's game so the jury is still out.

cover-3Nickel Defense
Whenever I know my opponent will be passing the ball my first choice is Cover 3 out of Nickel Odd split. This play has great coverage and seems to always bring good pressure. I often get a lot of sacks from Justin Smith (RE) out of this play. Because of this, I'll try to avoid usering him. I try to user the LE in case I need to cover the flats on the other side.

Goal Line defense
If my opponent comes out with 0 wide recievers I'll use one of the goal line blitzes and user the blitzing linebacker.

If my opponent brings out a 1 or 2 recievers I'll use a zone defense. I don't recall the name of the play but it's a cover 2 defense that also uses two hook zones and covers the flats. I'll use "Show Blitz" and will also turn on "Press". These two adjustments seem to do well defending against those short quick passes. I'll also put the LE in either QB Spy or QB contain to help prevent against the QB sneak. Lately, this hasn't been as effective as I would have liked it to be. The reason for this might be lack of awareness from the lineman. I may start usering the LE since most QBs like to run to the right. Before, I would user the RE.

No comments:

Post a Comment