Tuesday, September 1, 2009

How to throw a Hail Mary in Madden

I played an online game last night that I should have never won. I was down 13-0 in the 4th quarter and came back to win in the final seconds. With the ball on the 23 yard line and 1:26 left in the 4th quarter I ran the WR Double Pass from the Singleback Y-Trips formation in the Arizona playbook.




I "passed" the ball to Reggie Wayne as a lateral on the right side of the field and then he threw the ball across the field to Joseph Addai who made some spin moves and jukes to make it into the end zone.

Unfortunately, EA cut the beginning portion of the play so all you see is Addai catching the ball (greatness Score 2563):



"This site is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved."


I was then lucky enough to recover the onside kick. On first down I ran the Hail Mary which turned into an incompletion. then, on the last play of the game I ran the Hail Mary again and my receiver was wide open. My opponent must have mistakenly made some adjustments before the snap which caused everyone to blitz rather than cover.

Even though I got lucky this time, there's a few things that I tried to do on the last play that helped its success ratio.

Hail Mary:

1. I tried to stay in the pocket as much as possible. If the QB drops back too much, it will turn into longer, inaccurate pass.

2. On PS3 use the L2 button throw the ball farther with a better arch. This button seems to give you a better throw on deep passes.

3. I haven't been able to master the pump fake but doing this may help draw the defense in before throwing the bomb.

Score Breakdown:

Below are the stats of last night's game. As you can see, I had no success running the ball. Take a look at the time of possession! I only had the ball for 3 minutes.

On defense, I used a lot of blitzes mainly to help stop the run.

                    1    2    3    4   OT    F
Colts 0 0 0 14 0 14
Dolphins 0 3 0 10 0 13

Statistics Colts Dolphins
Rushing attempts for 7 19
Rushing yards for -1 35
Passing attempts for 12 13
Passing yards for 179 103
Punts 2 1
Field goals for 0 2
Long field goals (40+) for 0 0
Rushing touchdowns for 0 1
Passing touchdowns for 2 0
Returns touchdowns for 0 0
Defensive touchdowns for 0 0
Turnovers for 1 1
Interceptions for 1 1
Sacks for 1 0
Number of third downs 4 7
Third down conversions 1 4
No-huddle plays 1 0
Audibles called 1 6
Hot routes used 0 11
Shotgun plays 7 5
Blitzes 19 7
Time of possession 3:08 16:52

Madden 10

No comments:

Post a Comment